J. Rees Electrical offer a wide range of domestic and commercial services, all of which are completed to the highest standards, using quality materials and are all certified under the NICEIC who also offer a Platinum Promise should any issues arise. All work is fully insured and a 3year guarantee on labour and 1 year guarantee on parts issued as part of our service for added peace of mind!

Corner Decoration

Electrical Services

We offer a full range of services to homes within the South Wales area, including:


Reactive fault finding

Feel free to call us – we can investigate faults including troublesome tripping of your electrics and in most circumstances the fault can be found and sometimes rectified within the first hour of visiting. We are committed to resolving all problems quickly, efficiently and to the highest standards


Full and partial rewires

We have completed many full and partial rewires for our customers over the years starting with the design and quotation of the property and the installation, testing and certification of the electrical systems put in place. We will ensure that your home is left with the service you deserve.


Fuse board replacements

If you need a consumer unit upgrade, please get in touch. There are so many options available to you and as a company we want to support your needs whilst installing equipment that is to the current regulations.


Accessory replacements

If you’re simply in need of a light fitting change or you want to replace all the accessories in your home, we can help you! These services also include changing electric hobs, ovens, showers, and smoke detectors. No job is too small, we’re always happy to help!


Inspection & Testing

There are many different types of certifications that we offer depending on the work completed within your property. The most used certification used are as follows:

Minor Electrical Works Certificate (MEWC), Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC), Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR). We are also qualified to carry out Portable Appliance Testing (PAT). Please see our FAQs or Help Sheet page for further details.


Emergency Lighting Installations

We are qualified to complete the design and installation of emergency lighting throughout your domestic / commercial premises. We can also carry out 3hour drop tests or Lux level lighting tests if required. Please get in touch to discuss your needs.

Corner Decoration

Frequent Questions

Please see some of our most frequently asked questions below, If your question has not been answered then please feel free to drop us a message and we will respond to you ASAP. There is no such thing as a stupid question (only the one left un-asked)


When does a periodic inspection (EICR) need to be carried out?

It is recommended that periodic inspection and testing is carried out at the following times:

  • For tenanted properties, every 5 years or at each change of occupancy, whichever is sooner.
  • At least every 10 years for an owner – occupied home
  • At least every 5 years for a business

The Landlords and Tenant Act 1985 requires landlords of properties with short leases to keep the electrical wiring in repair and in proper working order. We recommend landlords arrange for periodic inspection and testing be carried out by a registered electrician at the relevant intervals as shown above.


My electrician says I need to carry out extensive electrical work in my home. How do I know if they are telling the truth?

We recommend that you get at least three quotations from different electricians before you go ahead with any major work in your home. We also advise that you always use a registered electrician as if you’re not happy with their work you can complain to their scheme operator, who will in turn ask them to rectify any mistakes.


What is Part P?

In 2005 the Government introduced electrical safety rules into the building regulations for England and Wales, because of this, most fixed electrical installation work in homes must, by law, meet the building regulations. Part P applies to any changes made to existing installations, including any parts that have been rewired. You can find full details on Part P on the Welsh Government website Building regulations guidance: part P (electrical safety) | GOV.WALES


When do I need a rewire?

There are no set guidelines as to when a property should be rewired. Just because your wirings old, it doesn’t mean it’s unsafe. Many factors can affect the wear and tear of your electrical system, including the materials used and how your property has been used.

We would advise that firstly a periodic inspection is carried out determine the quality of your electrical installation and if the electrical system is safe for continued use.

If you notice anything unusual – for example, burn marks on plugs and sockets, sounds of ‘arcing’ (buzzing or crackling), fuses blowing or circuit-breakers tripping please get a registered electrician to check your electrics as soon as possible.


As a landlord, what responsibility do I have in relation to the electrics in a property that I intend to let?

You have a duty of care to your tenant and must ensure that the installation is safe when they enter the property and is maintained throughout their tenure.

The Landlords and Tenant Act 1985 requires that the electrical installation in a rented property is:

  • Safe when tenancy begins and
  • Maintained in a safe condition throughout the tenancy.
  • We recommend that to comply with this Act, you get a registered electrician to carry out an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) on any property you intend to let before getting tenants in. This will certify whether the electrics are safe and tell you if anything needs upgrading.